Wish Upon A Dish: Chili Rubbed Rib Eyes w/Creamed Spinach

August 30, 2011

Chili Rubbed Rib Eyes w/Creamed Spinach


I always make our rib eye's this way. Got the idea from Rick Bayless who rubs his steaks in a chili spice mixture. I hear they are to die for.

Yes, I could make my own, but I find that a packet of Fajita Seasonings has just what I want in a rub.

I found a lower sodium packet of spices that still has all the flavor.

Pour the whole packet onto a plate and dip each steak into it, pressing to cover the whole steak, both sides.


You need a heavy hand with the spices. It might sound like too much, but it isn't. These packets are not "hot" spicy. For more then 2 steaks you may need 2 packets. When they go on sale, or when I get a coupon, I stock up on these.



When I make creamed spinach I use fat-free half & half and a schmear of fat-free cream cheese. You get the creaminess it needs without any fat. I also saute up mushrooms to give it a little meatiness and lots of flavor.



The Nudge wants roasted potatoes but I want to grill them.
I will slice them in 1/4" slices, nuke them for 4 minutes and toss them with olive oil, salt & pepper and grill them with the steaks.


A picture speaks a thousand words. These were perfectly cooked.

With the potatoes and the spinach, it was a good steakhouse meal. The Nudge just loved the creamed spinach and did not even realize it was a no-fat, low cal version, it was that good.

Next time you make a steak, any kind, use the chili rub. You won't go wrong.

No comments :