Wish Upon A Dish: Extreme Budget, Day Nineteen - Turkey Pot Pie w/Sage Crust

December 7, 2012

Extreme Budget, Day Nineteen - Turkey Pot Pie w/Sage Crust


I am about to make a savory pie crust. Does it sound like I am bragging? It is a big deal because I think in my lifetime, I might have made 5 doughs from scratch.
So, if I'm going to make a crust from scratch it's going to be a good one and went to B. Flay for inspiration. I used his sweet potato crust recipe to make these little darlings in March.

This time I opted for a sage crust. Since I happen to have a huge sage bush still alive and well in my garden, fresh thyme in the fridge and flour, shortening and butter in my pantry, this was a no-brainer for my 19th budget meal.
All I needed to buy was a package of frozen vegetable mix just made for pot pies.

This meal is down there with a total of $.99 for the vegetables and since I will be using only half the box, you figure it out.
I splurged on scallops this week so this meal needed to be cheapo.


Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
Makes 4 individual pies
  • 1 cup cooked turkey meat
  • 1/2 box frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, Lima beans and corn)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup leek, white part, sliced thinly
  • 1 large shallot, finely sliced 
  • 1 teaspoon Bell's Poultry Seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoons fresh sage chiffonade
Crust:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped sage
  • 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup ice water
Directions
Butter a 4-quart baking dish.
Shred turkey meat and add vegetables.
Melt butter in the same pot over medium heat. Add leeks and shallots and cook until soft. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and white wine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until reduced slightly. Add cream and cook until sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and add the parsley and sage. Pour the sauce over the turkey and vegetables in the bowl.

For the Crust: Place flour, herbs, and salt in a food processor and process until herbs are finely chopped. Add butter and shortening and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add a few tablespoons of the cold water at a time and pulse until the mixture just comes together. Gather dough into ball and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Roll dough into a 15 by 10 1/2-inch rectangle and cut out 4 (7") circles and 4 (4") circles. A small paper plate is about 7".
Place 7" circle on bottoms of 4 miniature pie pans (I used spring forms), spoon a quarter of the turkey mixture into each and top with 4" circle and crimp edges of dough together. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cut a few slits in the tops to let the steam escape and bake until crust is golden and gravy is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.


This was by far the best dough I have ever made. It was flaky yet tender, had great flavor and the bottom crust remained dry and perfect. We all know those bottom crusts can be glue.
I am very proud of myself.

The Nudge already put in his order for a beef pot pie. 

Cost for this meal: $ .50
6Running total for 19 day: $63.25

Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment :

Ted said...

Sage crust with a turkey pot pie--brilliant!