My Dad is in rehab and doing fine. Now he wants to taste "REAL" food so I am making him homemade manicotti.
He will eat these up and then be soooo happy. I will make extras for us and for lunches.
Makes 12 - the mixture should have the consistency of a thin pancake mix
* 3 eggs
* 1/2 cup milk
* 3 Tbs. butter, melted
* 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
* 1/2 tsp. salt
Drop everything into a blender and blend until smooth.
Let rest for at least 30 minutes and add more liquid as the flour soaks up the milk.
You will need a 9" nonstick frying pan.
(you can add spinach if you wish)
* 2 cups homemade ricotta or a good quality store bought brand, drained for 30 minutes (fat free, skim or whole milk, your choice)
* 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella (not the plastic wrapped bricks used for pizzas)
* salt & pepper
* grated Locatelli cheese to taste
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/8 tsp grated fresh nutmeg
You will need:
* A 9x13 baking pan (Pyrex makes the perfect size)
* 1/4 cup measuring scoop.
* Homemade gravy or a really good jarred sauce (remember, what you put into a dish, you will get back, use the best ingredients. This is not a place to skimp.)
Ladle sauce to coat the bottom of your baking pan and roll 1/4 cup filling into each crepe
Place seam side down in a baking pan.
Spoon more sauce on top.
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 400F. Uncover and serve.
* Extra grated mozzarella if you want. I do not use any on the top, just the sauce.
* Meatballs and sausage that has been simmered in the sauce at least 45 minutes.
* Serve with extra sauce and grated cheese, a good Chianti and a loaf of Italian bread.