I am making artichokes for my contribution to our Easter Table this year.
Two totally different styles, but both crunchy and fried with dipping sauces.
People love to dip anything.
Hearts of Gold & Fritters. The sealer is the grapefruit sabayon as one of the dipping sauces. The other will be a creme fraiche & cumin sauce along with a homemade lemon-garlic aioli. Both recipes can be used with all 3 sauces, have fun mixing 'n matching.
adapted from food52.com
makes about 40 small fritters
* 2 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed well
* 1/2 medium sized onion, skin removed and trimmed
* 3 garlic cloves, peeled
* 1 1/3 cup garbanzo/fava flour
* 1 large egg
* kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon white truffle oil (optional)
* 3 teaspoons salted capers, rinsed and minced
* vegetable oil for frying
1. Add all the ingredients, except the capers, to a food processor and puree until you have a smooth paste. It should still be loose not stiff. Stir in the minced capers. Ask a question about this step.
2. I like to use a wok to fry them but a deep pot would work well here too. Put enough oil into the pot so the fritters will float without touching the bottom of the pan. Just make sure the pot is no more than 1/3 full of oil. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Ask a question about this step.
3. Heat the oil to 350 degree or if you do not have a fry thermometer drop a little dough in and if it pops right back up and bubbles furiously you are good to go. Ask a question about this step.
4. Using a #60 scoop or a tablespoon slip the batter gently into the oil. Do not over crowd and do not let them brown to quickly. Reduce the heat if necessary. Ask a question about this step.
5. When they have finished cooking remove them to a paper towel lined plate or oven proof dish to drain. Slide them into the oven to keep warm while finishing. Repeat the above step until all the batter is gone. Serve immediately.
* 1 egg yolk
* 1/2 lemon, juiced
* salt & pepper
* 2 garlic cloves
* 1 tsp Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
In a food processor, place first 5 ingredients and process until smooth. With machine running slowly drip the oil into the processor until thick and creamy.
Taste for seasonings.
Savory Grapefruit Sabayon
* 1/4 cup chicken stock
* 1 1/2 tablespoon grapefruit flavored vodka (or vermouth)
* 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
* 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
* 1 teaspoon honey
* 2 egg yolks
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a small saucepan, simmer the stock and vodka until reduced by half. Let cool. Ask a question about this step.
2. Combine grapefruit juice, zest and honey in a small bowl. Add to cooled stock mixture. Ask a question about this step.
3. Make a double boiler by bringing some water to boil in a saucepan. Place egg yolks in a small bowl, preferably metal, and place over saucepan. Slowly begin to add the stock mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly. You may need to take the bowl on and off the hot water so as not to overcook the eggs. The sabayon will start off frothy and then become thick and creamy. Ask a question about this step.
4. Cook until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
I wanted to make a whole artichoke heart fried with a dipping sauce. This next recipe was perfect.
Artichoke Hearts of Gold
* 2 globe artichokes, preferable with some stalk
* 1/2 lemon
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup Panko and dry bread crumbs, mixed together
1. Prepare the artichokes: Peel all the leaves off the choke. Peel the stalk and with a paring knife neatly trim the bottom where you removed the leaves. Ask a question about this step.
2. Cut the trimmed artichokes in half vertically and with a spoon remove the hairy choke. Be careful when cutting in half to evenly cut the stem, too. Ask a question about this step.
3. Rub immediately with lemon juice so the artichoke doesn't get brown (which happens very quickly!). Steam the hearts until tender. Time will vary depending on the size of the hearts (about 15 minutes). Ask a question about this step.
4. Dip each artichoke half into the egg and then into the bread crumbs. Ask a question about this step.
5. Fry in the olive oil over medium heat until golden.
6. Set on paper towels to absorb the oil. Ask a question about this step.
Creamy Cumin-Lime Dipping Sauce:
* 1/2 cup creme fraiche
* 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
* finely grated zest of a lime
* juice of a lime
1. Mix all the ingredients together, adding salt to taste. Ask a question about this step.
2. Serve the golden hearts warm with the creamy dipping sauce.