Wish Upon A Dish: Grilled Ginger-Glazed Chicken Tenders

May 23, 2014

Grilled Ginger-Glazed Chicken Tenders


Yay, yay, yay for Spring and the grill is open for business!!

No, I do not grill in the dead of winter (especially this last winter with over 10 huge blizzards). My patio doors are sealed with plastic to keep the cold out so it is also sealed from foot traffic. I finally bought a grill pan but great is the day when I can open my Weber and fire up natural coal with a steak in tow.

Once the weather settles I plan at least five grilled meals a week. I will grill everything except pasta, pancakes and eggs. I even make my mussels on the grill, oh you haven't tried it? Just use the grill cover as your lid and the mussels get all that grill flavor as they steam, yummy!!

I thought this Asian inspired chicken dish would be perfect for my first official start of grill season (two weeks of rain postponed the original date).


During the week, I made a new potted herb garden, which sits right next to my fenced-in pot of parsley (stops the groundhog from trimming the stalks). I am digging up my 20 year old one which got very leggy and full of wild mint. There I have my chives, marjoram and tarragon.


I potted three hangers with Impatiens and Begonias and...... 


....this huge, bright red Bonfire begonia. They are great drought resistant plants and require minimal sun. Last year we got an orange one but this year she had the red. Absolutely gorgeous.


Bobby (our adopted neighbors cat, thinks this will make the perfect spot to take long afternoon naps under!!

Soon a fuschia and a petunia will join the group and feed the butterflies and hummingbirds.

Yesterday we grilled a bone-in ribeye with baked potato and corn. This weekend, right before The Nudge jets off to Copenhagen, we will celebrate the official opening of the patio with our traditional bruschetta day including a wonderful Grgich Hills Fumé Blanc a wine we have been drinking for over 25 years.
Saturday will be the first mow of the season and then we officially "cut the ribbon" on the good 'ole outdoors.
Even the cats are having a grand time. I think they have taken a nap in every spot of sun as it travels across the yard.


I always buy two large pots loaded with basil plants and I might just get me a third. I pick from them way into the summer and then it's pesto time.

While I miss the boss when he travels, I have already started to plan all the foods I will be eating while he's gone. Dishes which will include foods The Nudge is not fond off, including a Greek inspired Swordfish with Avgolemono Sauce, a Lamb Shawarma Pita and a Pork Tenderloin Stuffed Wellington, all on the grill. I hope the weather is on my side because it's going to be a grand grilled food week. I hope to share a few wonderful dishes with you.

This dish could not have been any easier. Everything goes into a food processor and then on the stove to reduced by half. Half of that mixture will marinade the chicken for at least 1 hour. The other half will baste the chicken pieces as they grill. Excellent flavor.
The chicken can be dipped into a bottled plum sauce but there really is enough flavor as is.

I served this with a plate of vegetable fried rice. You can find a well reviewed recipe here.

Grilled Ginger-Glazed Chicken Tenders
From the kitchen of Wish Upon A Dish with inspiration from Cooking Light

Serves: 4

* 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 tablespoon Tamari
* 1/2 cup mirin
* 1 pound chicken tenders, or 1 pound chicken breasts, sliced

1. Place the ginger and garlic in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse sand. Add the mirin, tamari and blend for 5 seconds. Remove to a small saucepan and simmer until the mixture is reduced by half (about 1/4 cup).
2. Pour half over the chicken pieces anf reserve the other half as a basting sauce. Spear four pieces per skewer. Reminder: Baste the chicken after it has cooked on one side and never use a basting sauce on raw meat unless you wash the brush after the initial application.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :