Wish Upon A Dish: Not Yo Mama's Tomato Soup

February 18, 2013

Not Yo Mama's Tomato Soup


Food rut, anyone? It's that time of year when the weather makes is difficult to go out, too cold to ever get really toasty and nothing excites me. I think I need a margarita and a bunch of spicy appetizers.
Luckily The Nudge agrees with me and Saturday afternoon (after our chores of course) he is taking me over to Chili's for an El Presidente. Now that's a Valentine's gift coupon I can't wait to redeem.

With a freezer full of food I could not think of a single thing to make for dinner tonight. Now that's a food rut. Even looking through my magazines was no inspiration. Like that margarita, times like this it's best to go back to something you know will give good comfort.

When I was growing up, my mom was lots like me (or maybe I am like her?), she tweaked everything.

Back in the day, like most growing up in the 50's, we ate TV dinners, frozen vegetables and Campbell's soups. Our favorite was their Tomato, so it was only natural that when I got married I introduced The Nudge to our version. It may seem like cheating, opening a can when I can make magnificently healthy homemade soups, but this is a food emergency. I think that calls for drastic measures. Close your eyes for this next revelation, she used Velvetta cheese. Yup, a big ole hunk of artery clogging neon yellow cheese.
Hey, as kids we loved it and I know there are still lot's of peeps that use Amercian or Velvetta to get their kids to eat vegetables.

I am giving myself a break tonight but guilt got the better of me so, I made a batch of homemade dinner rolls and a salad on the side. I said I was uninspired, not totally bonkers.

So, without further ado, here is my mom's tomato soup, tweaked by yours truly.

Joan's Tomato Soup Redux
makes 4 servings

* 1 can Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup
* 1 can fat-free evaporated milk
* 1 can water
* 1 cup cooked thin egg noodles
* 1 cup smoked Gouda
* Freshly grated black pepper

Place everything into a saucepan and simmer until the noodles are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

Review: The Nudge told me this was the best tomato soup EVER. Yup, that's right but I agree with him. The addition of the smoked Gouda was genius. I also sprinkled some balsamic vinegar and Tobasco on mine right before serving and that also elevated the flavor profile. Of all the condensed soups, the only one I will eat is Campbell's Tomato, there is just something about the spices they use that I have not been able to duplicate, so why should I. They also make a Healthy Request version but I only open a can once a year, so I used the original. Mom would have approved and she had a BS in Health Education.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :