Wish Upon A Dish: Buttermilk and Corn Popovers

December 31, 2013

Buttermilk and Corn Popovers

When someone says you don't need a popover pan to make popovers, don't listen to them. If you want to try them first (like I did) before investing a few dollars in a popover pan, than that's all fine and dandy.

My first endeavor was a total disaster. Of course I did not start with Alton's Basic Popover recipe, I went straight for an expert baker's recipe. I am not an expert baker, as a matter of fact if I have baked muffins more than 4x in my life I would be surprised.

Popovers need the tall thin metal tin to rise to the occasion. Muffin tins are too squat.
So, if you want perfectly popped over, airy, ethereal specimens....buy the pan. Use the coupons BB&B sends to everyone, and buy the pan, man.

I did change the original recipe due to the problems with the first try. I pureed the corn with the buttermilk, which I reduced to 3/4 cup. To make the liquid thin like a popover batter should be to popover, I added 1/4 cup chicken broth to make the total liquid 1 cup. It was perfect.

These are not hollow like traditional basic popovers are known to be. They have substance but where still light and airy. They were perfect for tearing off a piece and dipping into the chile sauce.

Next time I make popovers I will try Romano cheese to serve with meatballs and sauce and maybe a mushroom, Marsala and thyme version to eat with a great beef stew.  Just remember that the liquid level should always be around 1 cup and any vegetables should be finely minced.

I know one thing, this is one pan that will be used constantly, unlike my muffin tin.

Buttermilk Corn Popovers
Lightly adapted from smittenkitchen.com

*3/4 cup buttermilk
* 1/2 cup corn kernels (defrosted frozen is fine)
* 3 large eggs
* 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled, divided
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
* 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon table salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
 
1. Place buttermilk and corn in a blender together and blend till it is a puree with lumps in it, not totally smooth).
2. Add the eggs, one tablespoon of the melted butter and blend for one second more.
3. Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, a few grinds of black pepper (I used six).
4. Set the batter aside to rest while you preheat your oven to 400°, about 15 minutes. Brush your popover, muffin or ramekin cups with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Fill each cup slightly more than halfway with batter.
4. Bake popovers 30 to 35 minutes (see Note above about baking times in a muffin tin). Try not to open the oven door! Crack it just 1-inch to take a peak if absolutely necessary towards the end. Popovers are done when they’re tall and bronzed. Take a skewer or sharp knife and pop a hole into the top to release the steam.
5. Dump the popover on to a kitchen towel until they are cool enough to handle, then place in a bowl on the table.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :