Wish Upon A Dish: Sesame Chicken ♥ Cooking for Two

January 14, 2014

Sesame Chicken ♥ Cooking for Two


I can not for the life of me remember where this original recipe was published. Are you like me and start a post, save it and forget it's on your dashboard? Please say yes.

While organizing my computer, I found this recipe under the draft section. I completely forgot it was there with the holidays and all that other stuff that demands your attention. I was just about to hit delete, then decided I better read it, ya know, just in case.

From what I had already written, I did know this recipe was from my old index card file from back in 1983.
Now think about this for a minute. Back in 1983 there was no Internet, only food magazines and those you could count on one hand. What we knew about Asian cooking was that Chow Mien in a canister (every baby boomer knows exactly what that is) and local take-out.

While it was made using very simple pantry ingredients and minimal prep work, what really caught my attention was that this was a Cooking for Two recipe and perfect for busy days. So, while it was worth revisiting, it is by no means an authentic Sesame Chinese Chicken. I did make a few revisions but after a day of cooking and testing contest recipes, I did not get too creative. I really needed an easy peasy but tasty dinner.I have to say, the flavor was great! If you love General Tao's you will really enjoy this.
I would not hesitate to make this again. The Nudge took seconds. He rarely does that!

You could substitute the rice with couscous or quinoa, and the peas for broccoli, snap peas or spinach. I cooked what I had on hand, like I said, no fuss pleasy. 

Sesame Chicken
Makes 2 servings

* 6-7 ounces chicken cutlets, sliced into thin, 1" strips
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 3/4 cup plain or spicy tomato juice (I used V8)
* 3 tablespoons dry white wine
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon Tamari
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 small clove minced garlic
* Juice of one lime
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce, or more to taste
* Salt & pepper
* 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

1. Dredge the chicken in the cornstarch and fry in a hot skillet that has been sprayed with a release agent. Remove to a bowl.
2. Respray the same skillet and saute the onion, garlic and ginger until they soften.
3. Add the tomato juice and Tamari and simmer until it thickens to a sauce consistency.
4. Add the lime juice, rice wine vinegar and the honey, adjusting the seasonings to your liking (more vinegar or more honey).
4. Add the chicken and right before serving and heat through.
5. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the chicken and serve.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :