Wish Upon A Dish: Rosemary Lentils and Greens on Toasted Bread ♥ Week One, Day Three - EatingWell Meal Plan

March 3, 2014

Rosemary Lentils and Greens on Toasted Bread ♥ Week One, Day Three - EatingWell Meal Plan


When I saw this dish I just about loved everything about it, except the bread. Since The Nudge is traveling, I made myself a batch of polenta (or grits) but would have done both if he was joining me. I used the oil that would have been for brushing the bread as a finishing garnish.

I honestly think that 4 slices of bread will not be enough for the amount of lentils that this recipe produces. I would double the amount to 8 thin slices.
I also could not find green lentils, so used the brown, and they didn't break up during the cooking time.

If you do have leftovers (as I had plenty), freeze for another night, add chicken stock and make soup.

Rosemary Lentils and Greens on Toasted Bread
Makes: 4 servings, 1 cup lentils & kale and 1 slice bread each
This rosemary-infused lentil and greens recipe is a perfect topping for toasted bread. Serve as a vegetarian main dish for 4 or a hearty side dish for 8.

Tips: We like French green lentils instead of brown when we want lentils that hold their shape (instead of breaking down) when cooked. Look for them in natural food stores and some supermarkets.
To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes.

* 3 cloves garlic, divided
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 4 teaspoons, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
* 4 cups water
* 1 cup French green lentils
* 8 cups chopped kale (1-pound bunch)
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

* 4 slices stale crusty bread (see tips)(I made 4 cups polenta)

1. Mince 2 garlic cloves. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and rosemary and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add water; bring to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 40 minutes.

2. Add kale and salt; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and kale are tender, about 10 minutes more. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Brush bread slices with 1/2 teaspoon oil each. Bake until toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut the remaining garlic clove in half and rub the toast with a cut side of the garlic. Serve each toast topped with about 1 cup of the lentil mixture, drizzled with 1/2 teaspoon of the remaining oil.

Per serving: 422 calories; 15g fat (2g sat, 10g mono); 0mg cholesterol; 56g carbohydrate; 3g added sugars; 19g protein; 13g fi- ber; 568mg sodium; 753mg potassium.

Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (164% daily value), Vitamin C (44% dv), Iron (27% dv)

Review: I thought it would be bland but it wasn't. I think the next time I make this I will either blanch the kale or use Swiss Chard or Spinach. I am just not a kale person because it stays firm when cooked in only 10 minutes. I prefer my vegetables on the softer side.

For all the recipes and shopping lists, click here.
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :