Wish Upon A Dish: Blueberry Banana Bread Crumble

September 19, 2014

Blueberry Banana Bread Crumble


I had very ripe bananas and blueberries in my freezer. I could make this, it looked really good and I was looking for something different than my usual old fashioned banana bread (not that there was anything wrong with it). I have also made a new favorite lemon pear breakfast bread a few times but I had bananas not pears (but ask me again in a few months).

The idea of a crumble on top intrigued me and if I added whole grain oats it would be a little more healthier. The last time I made a blueberry cornbread the blueberries overtook the bread and so the berries would not sink to the bottom (contrary to common belief, flouring them does not stop that), I made a line of crumble down the middle to act as a barrier. As you can see it did make a difference. Yay for me!!

I think next time I make this bread I will not only add oats but chopped nuts to the crumble mix.


If you are a fan of a dense banana bread, then you will love the addition of the blueberries and the crumble. We both had a slice for breakfast and it was gone before I knew it.
Time to make another.

Blueberry Banana Bread Crumble
Adapted from Right at Home
makes 1 loaf

Banana Bread:
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup light brown sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 2 ripe bananas, mashed
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup fresh blueberries  (I used frozen ones, defrosted)

Crumble:
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* 1/3 cup whole grain oats 
* 1/3 cup light brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 stick unsalted cold butter, cut into pieces 

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. 
2. In a bowl, stir to combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside until needed. 
3. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars together on medium-high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. On medium-low speed add eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla and mix until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until the flour is just incorporated. Add blueberries and fold in by hand with a spatula. 
4. Pour half the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan. 
5. To make the crumble, combine all ingredients for the crumble in a bowl. With your hands or a fork work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles peas. Pour the crumble evenly on top of the banana bread batter. Pour the remaining batter over the crumble and spread evenly over the crumble.Spoon the remaining half of crumble on the top of the batter.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and serve.

Nutrition Facts: 1 slice (129g)
Calories 400g
Calories from Fat 150g
Total Fat 17g
Saturated Fat 10g
Cholesterol 80mg
Sodium 270g
Total Carbohydrates 58g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 33g
Protein 5g

No comments :