Wish Upon A Dish: Tea Smoked Salmon ♥ Start Smoking in the New Year - Recipe ReDux Challenge January 2015

January 21, 2015

Tea Smoked Salmon ♥ Start Smoking in the New Year - Recipe ReDux Challenge January 2015


Been a very busy month with the Weight Loose Diet Challenge (so far, very successful), an upcoming recipe contest (hoping also very successful), participating in a very cool and prestigious recipe software beta test and the first Recipe ReDux Challenge of the new year.

And I thought I might quietly coast into 2015....HA!!
I was never good at coasting.

Start Smoking in the New Year
The New Year is heating up with smoke and spiciness. From boldly flavored smoked salts to actual smoking techniques, subtly smoked food is on-trend. The same can be said for spice as we savor heat from harissa, sriracha and smoked paprika. Show us a healthy dish you’re heating up with smoke and/or spiciness.

I am very intrigued with the theme of this challenge, and I wish it was spring and I had access to my new smoker, which is still wrapped in Christmas paper, in my basement. I guess I knew smoked foods would be a trend this year. I had such high hopes for smoking fresh mozzarella, vegetables, condiments like ketchup, mayo and mustard's to mention a few.

Not checked off yet, and can be done in a stove top version, is salmon. Yes, I can buy packaged cold or hot smoked salmon in my store but I was saving my first fresh salmon for my new smoker. One could argue that wood smoking and tea smoking are two separate things and since I received a tin of really good quality teas which will never see hot water, I thought about dabbling in tea smoking without squashing my wood smoked spring salmon dreams.

All you need is a large roasting pan that can easily accommodate a smaller aluminum pan for which would hold a beautiful side of wild caught salmon. I used an old, seen better days, pasta pot with steamer insert. No need to buy a stove top smoker (especially when there is a new toy already bought and paid for).

If a roasting pan is not something you have, I found this from Saveur.com.......

What you'll need

A large pot
A metal steamer insert
Aluminum foil
Smoking material (I used tea)

* 1/4 cup black tea
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1/2 cup uncooked rice
* herbs, your choice (thyme, basil, tarragon, chives)
* lemon or orange peel, optional

What to do:

Put two large pieces of foil on the bottom and up to the top, one on one side, the other across from it (I used an old pasta pot that is dented and usually earmarked for the grill).
Place a square piece of foil on the bottom, shaped like a bowl. Place the smoking mixture on the foil.
Place the steamer insert in the pot, along with the fish (or poultry, or even vegetables).
Turn the heat on. As soon as you see smoke, cover the steamer with more foil and place the lid on top.
Bring the foil up over the lid and crimp tightly. I also placed a dish towel on top.
Set the timer for 10 minutes an inch.

Meanwhile, make the finishing sauce (recipe follows).

Remove the foil and serve with the quinoa.

I am getting double duty from this dish. Along with this challenge I am also using this salmon for a recipe that comes right off the pages of the EatingWell Lose It! challenge.

Served with a Roasted Vegetable Quinoa, this could not have been easier or tastier as well as how happy I am that I accomplished another item on my Food Technique list.

Finishing Sauce
makes 4 servings

* 1/4 cup glazed walnuts
* juice of half a lemon
* salt & pepper
* 1/4 cup rice vinegar
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1 tablespoon honey or agave
* 1 cove garlic, minced
* Handful of fresh Italian parsley

Small chopper until the walnuts are minced fine but not mush. You want the texture.




   
   

1 comment :

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

So fun that you got a smoker for Christmas - will look forward to lots of smoked recipe from you this year :) I had never heard of tea smoking until I tried it out for last year's ReDux "cooking with tea" theme. I was a new fan (though it did smoke out my kitchen a bit.)