Wish Upon A Dish: Roasted Prosciuto Wrapped Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce

February 12, 2015

Roasted Prosciuto Wrapped Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce


Tonight was supposed to be an off night for me but no sooner had I unloaded the car when The Nudge called to inform me he cancelled his business dinner and will take them to lunch instead.

It's times like this I rely on a good pantry. While I do cook most dinners from scratch, I also plan on semi-homemade goods coming to my rescue on those nights when I forget to defrost or forget to buy something for dinner. In the last two weeks, the weather and a recipe challenge disrupted my usual meal plan. Today was my first chance I got to hit the market hard, but I wasn't planning on cooking for anyone. I bought a store-made 4-cheese pepperoni calzone. Oh well, another day.

I did buy cod that was on sale and actually looked very fresh.
I remembered a can of Progresso Cream Tomato Soup (using ricotta), so a fancy tomato bisque served under a prosciutto roasted cod it was and it will taste like the best takeout but be on the table in 20 minutes. While the fish roasts, a handful of haricot verts flavors the pasta cooking water and the dinner rolls bake while we eat the salad.


Nothing wrong with using canned soups these days, they are so much healthier than the 'cream of ' soups used for casseroles.
I added a sprig of fresh thyme to the simmering soup, just to add something fresh.

Let's get semi-cooking......

Prosciutto Roasted Alaskan Cod with an Italian Tomato Bisque
makes 4 servings
* 1 pound Alaskan Cod
* 14oz container Tomato Bisque
* 1 sprig fresh thyme
* 8 slices prosciutto
* black pepper

1. Cut the cod into two 8oz pieces. Lay 4 slices of prosciutto side-by-side on a baking pan, slightly overlapping each edge by 1/2". Place a piece of cod lengthwise on the prosciutto and wrap and roll the cod.
Place seam side down on the baking pan, brush with olive oil and roast in a 425° oven for 10-12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile simmer the soup with the thyme, stirring occasionally.
3. In a pasta bowl, ladle a spoonful of soup in the bowl and place a piece of cod on the soup.

Serve with green beans, broccoli or spinach.
I also made angle hair pasta and a salad.

For dessert I made a sugar free Chocolate Kahlua Pudding, yum.



No comments :