Wish Upon A Dish: Flank Steak with Gorgonzola Sauce

March 12, 2013

Flank Steak with Gorgonzola Sauce


Many, many years ago when money was extremely tight, I made a deal with The Nudge that I would not buy a flank steak priced at more than $5.00.
Since there is only one sized flank steak per cow (it is sold whole), as the years came and went there were less and less times it made an appearance on our dinner table. Eventually I stopped buying it completely. The steaks got bigger and bigger and so did the price. Too much meat for two people.

I thought a nice sliced steak recipe would be good on the Meal Plan and then a leftover cold sliced meat sandwich for a lunch, so remembering my deal and allowing for inflation, I took the shot at finding a steak for under $10.00.

Flank steaks here in NJ average out at $14.99+ a steak. It was looking like I might have to settle for a strip steak to slice with no extra for lunch. I really wanted a flank but wasn't having much luck finding one that weighed in under 2 pounds. Not one to give up easily and I reached way into the back of the meat case, moving every package back and forth (at least seven of them) until I saw it...a small flank steak priced under 10 dollars. It didn't matter that I broke a nail and scratched my arm, I had WON. I found my prize, I had kept the deal, my effort rewarded and I wiggled back out of that meat counter in search of The Nudge. There he was down the aisle a bit, a flank steak in his hand and as he headed towards me, he said "hey, did you see that rack of flank steaks over there? And lookie here, the first one I grabbed was under $10.00."

ARRGH!!!

Sliced Steak with Gorgonzola Sauce
makes 4 servings

Marinade
* 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Dash black pepper
* 16oz boneless rib or flank steak

Sauce
* 2 teaspoons Olivio or other butter spread
* 1 tablespoon minced shallots
* 1/2 teaspoon AP flour
* 1/4 cup 1% milk
* 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dry vermouth
* 1 ounce Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
* 3 tablespoons sour cream
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* Dash each white pepper and ground nutmeg

1. In a small bowl, mix the mashed garlic, Worcestershire, mustard and salt.  Using a basting brush, brush each side with half the paste.
2. Heat a grill pan on high. Grill the steak for 4 minutes on both sides. Remove to a platter, tent with foil, and let it rest while you prepare the sauce.
3. In a small saucepan, melt butter spread and saute the garlic and shallots until softened. Add the flour and mix to blend into the shallot/garlic then the milk, stirring constantly.Add the vermouth and simmer for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, sour cream, parsley, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Do not boil, the sour cream might break.
5. Slice the steak against the grain and spoon the sauce down the middle.

There was 1/2 cup of sauce leftover.

 
Review: Once the steak rested and before carving, I added the juices to the sauce. Excellent and exactly what the steak needed. Did not miss a side starch. Food friendly I will bookmark this recipe and try it with other cheeses for topping broccoli (cheddar) or cauliflower (gruyere) or even on a white pizza (goat cheese). Huge flavor using minimal cheese and that's a good thing.


















Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :