Wish Upon A Dish: Lox, Dill and Cream Cheese Frittata

March 27, 2013

Lox, Dill and Cream Cheese Frittata

Great dish to put out on your holiday brunch buffet table.
I am roasting a pig over at my SIL's house this Sunday and since we have to be there at the crack dawn, I thought I would surprise her with breakfast.
I wanted to make a trial this Sunday to make sure I got all the components in perfect harmony. Too much Lox or onion could be the Yang without the Ying.

While I ate my share, I am glad I made a trial run. Lox with cream cheese on a bagel is a good thing but I think in this frittata, a Norwegian smoked salmon would have worked better and I am going with that. Don't let me dissuade you, pick your personal salmon preservation.

So, armed with fresh bagels, a frittata and a pig, I will be the Easter Bunny this year.

Lox, Dill and Cream Cheese Frittata
makes 2 servings

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 3 XL organic eggs
* 1/3 cup low fat milk
* 1 jumbo mushroom or two large, sliced
* 1 ounce Nova Scotia Lox (buy the trims)
* 1 ounce 1/3 less fat cream cheese
* 2 tablespoon sliced leek, white part
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried
* 1 scallion, white and green parts, sliced
* salt & pepper

1. Heat oil in a cast iron or non-stick ovenproof skillet.
2. Saute leeks and mushroom until lightly browned. Mix the eggs and milk together while the vegetables saute.
3. Turn heat to low and add the eggs and milk mixture.

4. Turn the oven on to broil. Drop the salmon evenly in the pan and then dollops of cream cheese.
5. Add the salt, pepper and dill and cover for 4 minutes. Uncover and place under the broiler until the eggs set and the cheese melts.
6. Sprinkle with the scallions and serve.


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :