Wish Upon A Dish: Dry Rub BBQ Wings

May 31, 2013

Dry Rub BBQ Wings


If you are looking for a new wing recipe, try this soon. The prep is....well, as easy as measuring two ingredients and placing meat and seasonings in a large zip bag to marinade overnight (or at least 8 hours).

The cooking is as easy as setting your grill with a pan of water down the middle and the heat, whether coals or gas, on both sides of the pan and grill at about 300 degrees for two hours.
Yup, just set and cook. I find that one full chimney of coals will last for two hours as long as I don't open the lid. A charcoal grill can be controlled by opening and closing the vents at the top and bottom of the grill. If you grill does not have a thermometer installed, you will need to buy one with a probe that is placed on the grill or in the meat and that is connected by a wire to the base reader.

Once you get it set to 300 degrees it tends to stay there without watching, so sides can be made and tables can be set. I suggest you buy the large family pack of wings because I could eat a dozen myself.
These are so good, you will never use a sauce again, but feel free to set bowls of different kinds around the table. People of all ages love to dip.

I am not a huge fan of smoke so when I do add chips, they are always a fruit wood. Cherry and apple wood are available every where nowadays. Add the chips in the beginning so it penetrates into the raw meat. Cooked meat does not absorb smoke, you can't get anything into the core when it's already done.

I am making a batch of these this weekend and as long as I have the grill set up, I am cooking a rack of St. Louis ribs and a rack of baby backs.

BBQ Creole Chicken Wings
makes 1 cup rub, enough for 24 wings

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup creole seasoning (my fav is Emeril's but Tony's is another good one)

1. Place chicken wings and rub in a large zip bag and toss to coat. Place in the fridge for minimum 4-5 hours, overnight is better. The sugar will melt and make a sauce. Toss the bag in the garbage and grill away.
2. Do not use the marinade to baste the wings.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :