Wish Upon A Dish: Spinach Stuffed Flounder Almondine

June 19, 2013

Spinach Stuffed Flounder Almondine

Let me start this post off with this......
This was The Best stuffed flounder I ever ate and I had backup sitting to my right. Our plates were clean.

When I can get flounder for $2.99 a pound, I buy at least 10 pieces (2 pounds) and have the fish monger split them into two 1 pound packages. You did not know you could do that? Sure, I do it all the time.

Alton Brown says to freeze them in zip bags with water in them laying flat until they are hard, then you date them and place them like books on a shelf.
Since I still can't grill because of all the torrential rain we are getting, having that flounder in the freezer makes dinner a no-brainer.

I cooked a Stouffers Spinach Souffle (this is one of my favorite packaged go to treat), cooled and spread 2 tablespoon on each fillet, skin side up, on fillets that I salted and peppered.
Rolled up and placed in a baking pan large enough so where they do not touch each other, I made a butter/almond sauce with lemon slices and lemon thyme sprigs with a splash of white wine.
I added a shallot and reduced by a 1/3rd. Strain the sauce into a small bowl and let it cool. As soon as The Nudge pulls into the driveway I turn on the oven.

I preheated the oven to 375° and the minute he trudged upstairs to change into his comfies, I placed the baking pan with the sauced, stuffed and rolled fillets into the oven and baked it for 15 minutes, covered.

Leftover long grain & wild rice gets nuked for 5 minutes and guess what?
It was delicious, easy and inexpensive. It was also locally caught and I like to buy local.
Flounder may not be the superstar that salmon is but it has redeeming qualities.
Flounder (or flat fish), is low in Saturated Fat. It is also a good source of Vitamin D, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus and Potassium, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin B12 and Selenium.


Spinach Souffle Stuffed Flounder Almondine
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time (souffle, sauce and rice): 25 minutes
Bake time: 15 minutes
Servings: 3

* 5 flounder fish fillets (about 1 pound)
* 1 package Stouffers Spinach Souffle
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* 3 slices lemon, chopped
* 7 sprigs fresh thyme sprigs
* 2 tablespoons white wine
* Salt & pepper
* 4 medium basil leaves, julienned

1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saute pan, add 2 tablespoons butter, shallots, lemon slices, thyme sprigs and wine. Heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Strain through a sieve.
2. Microwave spinach souffle according to package directions. Cool.
3. Wipe out the saute pan and toast the almonds until they start to brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Season fillets with salt & pepper. Place 2 tablespoons of cooked spinach souffle on skin side of fish and spread evenly. Roll, starting at the thin end towards the thicker top. Place in a baking pan.
5. Spoon butter/wine sauce over each roll and distribute the almonds amongst them.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let it rest for 5-8 minutes.
7. Nuke the rice and place a spoonful on the plate and top with two fish rolls.
8. Spoon any spinach that sneaked out into the sauce with the remaining sauce over the fish and serve.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments :