Wish Upon A Dish: Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes and Me

September 19, 2010

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes and Me

I finally did it....I made buttermilk pancakes that The Nudge approved of. He even requested the blueberries.

I'm in complete shock.
Thank you, than you Smitten Kitchen and Martha.

I don't own a Martha Stewart cookbook but I think I am going to try to get her Original Classics Cookbook. I seem to see a lot of blogs using her recipes with great success.

I will tell you, these pancakes were the best. I still love my buttermilk oatmeal recipe but I will try to duplicate this recipe using GF flour and Xantham Gum.
At least I know I will be able to eat 2 on a Sunday when I make them for him.

During the week I will make mine.

The key to fluffy pancakes is not to overmix the batter; it should not be beaten smooth. If serving these pancakes with bacon, reserve half a teaspoon of bacon drippings to grease the griddle instead of butter.

I nuke my bacon so there were no drippings. I also put 12 blueberries in each pancake, so they didn't even need syrup the berries were so sweet.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes
(makes 12 - 6" pancakes)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 3 cups buttermilk
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle

1. Heat griddle to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.

2. Heat oven to 175 degrees. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.

3. Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.

4. Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.

No comments :